A woman named Yunue Moore went for a walk with her family and their sweet rescue dog named Clue. They went to Anderson Lake State Park near their home on Mother’s Day and the happy occasion quickly turned into a terrible tragedy. The Washington State Park is large, with 8 miles of hiking trails and areas for riding bikes and even horses. The family went down one of the trails that looked safe and dry. At some points the trail met up with the nearby lake. She said the trail had some marshy areas along the lake and Clue the dog who is energetic and loves water splashed around in the marsh and one point even fell in the water. Yunue quickly got her out and says she was in the water no more than a minute and perhaps got a mouthful of water while she was in. It seemed like an innocent interaction, but it turned into a tragedy quickly.
Yunue had no idea there was blue green algae, which is toxic, in the lake water. It’s incredibly toxic to dogs and the family even passed a couple that warned them to keep their dog out of the toxic water. Just three days before their visit the lake had been closed because of anatoxin-a, a neurotoxin found in stagnant water. That toxin can cause illness or even death in both humans and dogs. Yunue says there were signs saying there was no fishing or swimming because of the algae, but the “dog friendly” park didn’t warn of keeping dogs away from the water.
After she was exposed, they rushed Clue to the car but after 30 minutes of her exposure she started convulsing. Just two hours later, she died at the emergency vet and Yunue had to visit the ER herself since she held Clue and got some of the algae on her own body. After losing their sweet dog, she posted the story online, warning other dog owners to not make the same mistake she did.