When a woman named Liz Heatherly was traveling down a back road in the Travelers Rest area of South Carolina, she never imagined she would come across a terrible sight. It took a while for her to process what she was seeing, but once she did she knew that she just had to act. What she saw was a tiny puppy, maybe just ten weeks old, hobbling along the edge of the road. The little pup was covered in ticks and fleas and it had a zip tie, sometimes known as a cable tie, around his snout. Liz and her mother, who was driving, stopped in the first driveway they found and walked back to the area where they had seen the puppy. It was not easy to capture the puppy however.
The dog was incredibly scared and there were a lot of cars speeding by, which spooked the little puppy. The pair eventually slid down to the bottom of a drainage ditch to get the dog, who is a Labrador and hound mix. They immediately cut the zip tie from his mouth and realized the cord had been on his mouth for a while. He had terrible open sores and scabs from the cord rubbing against his skin. They took him to the Cleveland Park Animal Hospital for help. The veterinarian there determined that the puppy was malnourished, dehydrated, and had intestinal parasites, but had no significant trauma to his mouth from the zip tie.
It is believed the puppy had a zip tie around his mouth for several days. Vets determined that unfortunately the scar around his mouth would be permanent and his fur would not grow back in that area. That was fine with Liz, who had just one task left: introduce the puppy to her current dog Jackson. Jackson typically dislikes other dogs, but he immediately warmed up to the new puppy. The new puppy, who was named Norman, has a wonderful life now!