Paula Godwin, who lives in Arizona, took her two dogs for a walk near her home. It turned into anything but a normal walk, as she accidentally stepped on something lying on the path in front of her. That something turned out to be a rattlesnake, and it was not happy about the situation. It tried to strike Godwin in self-defense, but that did not happen thanks to one of her dogs. Her puppy, a golden retriever named Todd, actually rushed at the snake to protect his mom from being bitten. Unfortunately, that means Todd was struck on the muzzle instead of Paula. He saved her from the potentially fatal, venomous, and painful bite.
Todd jumped in front of her leg and Paula is now calling him a hero for his actions. Poor Todd immediately began to yelp loudly in pain and his face quickly swelled up from the venomous snake bite. Paula acted very quickly however, and got Todd to the veterinarian just a few minutes after the incident. This means a veterinarian was able to treat Todd quickly with antivenom and kept him at the hospital to be closely monitored. While it was a scary incident for Paula, she is so thankful that Todd protected her that day.
Scientists say rattlesnakes typically do not bite unless they feel threatened, which is certainly what happened that day when Paula stepped on the snake. For humans, these bites are typically not fatal, but they do cause severe reactions like blurred vision, difficulty breathing, pain, and numbness. The best news of all is that Todd is now on the mend after some time at the veterinarian’s office, and plenty of rest and hugs from his mom. He still has a wound on his face, but the swelling has gone down and he’s well on his way to recovery.