Police Dogs Overdose on Fentanyl, Live to Tell the Tale

It’s no secret that there is a very serious drug problem in the United States right now. Many individuals are struggling with addiction problems and this means there are more and more drug busts being done by police departments and sheriff’s offices all over the country. A crucial component of these busts is police dogs; these specially trained K9s are used to detect drugs in homes and successfully locate criminals. However, these police dogs are now facing a very real danger while in the line of duty.

These dogs are accidentally ingesting fentanyl and there are very serious consequences for both dogs and their human handlers. It takes a very minimal amount of this dangerous drug in order to cause and overdose in humans or even in dogs. There was a recent situation in Broward County, Florida that raised the awareness of officials. The sheriff’s office led an investigation in a residential home when investigating a heroin ring with the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). During this time, drug sniffing dogs were brought in to locate drugs like marijuana. However, after some time in the home it was clear that the dogs were in trouble.

Buzzfeed News//Facebook

Once the three dogs were loaded back into the police vehicles, they began acting oddly. Primus the German Shorthair Pointer, for example, had a very aimless stare, did not respond to commands, and was not interested in toys- very out of character for the high energy dog. Packer and Finn, his fellow drug sniffing dogs that were also on the investigation, were not acting themselves either.

Their handlers took them to a local veterinarian’s office quickly, to identify the problem they were experiencing. It turns out the dogs had accidently breathed in fentanyl during the investigation and were experiencing an overdose. Investigators treated the dogs and they survived, but have serious concerns for future investigations in which they will take great care to not be exposed to the drug.

Next Article
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Dog Hero Saves Deer from Drowning

    There is no doubt in anyone’s mind: Storm, a six year old golden retriever, is a very good boy. In fact, many are calling him a hero for a recent video that showed him saving a small fawn from drowning. The video went viral for a very important reason, which is that the dog saved...

    Read More
  • Dogs May Help in Cancer Battle, Study Says

    We all know how incredible dogs are: they are amazing companions, provide endless amounts of love and are as loyal as can be. But that bond could possibly be much deeper than anyone could possibly imagine thanks to a recent study. In particular, it is amazing to study and understand more about the bond that...

    Read More
  • Researchers Use “Poop Sniffing” Dogs

    When it comes to researching the health and behavior of animals, the best insight into information is through their poop. In fact, you can learn a lot from poop: if an animal is under stress, what their diet is like, and even if they have ingested toxins from the environment. Locating these droppings on land...

    Read More
  • How to Keep Dogs Safe in the Summer Sun

    As humans, we all probably know that safety in the sun is incredibly important. Especially in the summer months, it is crucial to wear sunscreen and protect your skin from the rays of the sun. But did you know that it is also important to keep your furry friend safe in the summer from the...

    Read More
  • Dog Wears a Hat for the Saddest Reason

    Dogs really are incredible animals, aren’t they? Not only do they offer us human beings delightful companionship, but they are also known to be very resilient to any sort of trauma they experience in their lives. Their loyalty is second to none, living to exist with their humans and provide the love and companionship we...

    Read More
  • App Introduced to Keep Police Dogs Cool

    It is a very sad story we have unfortunately read all too often in the news: animals are left in hot cars during the sweltering summer months. Many times, dogs can become ill or even die from being exposed to the heat in a car by becoming dehydrated. Even cracking a window in a car...

    Read More