The Christmas season is known for joy and goodwill, but for one dog it was a terrible time. A report came in to Sue Naiden that a man had hung a young golden retriever by its neck and then threw acid on it. The dog survived, but Sue and the Trio Animal Foundation were contacted when the man dropped the dog off at someone’s home and left. Despite the offer of a large monetary reward, no one would go on record about what happened to the young dog and who was responsible for the abuse. The dog, who was named Charlie by his rescuers, was in terrible shape when he arrived. The acid burns had gone untreated for several days and wounds covered his back and shoulders. Charlie was taken to a local vet at the Delavan Lakes Vet Clinic in Wisconsin, where they specialize in the treatment of burns.
Charlie was given proper care to treat his wounds with medication, special baths, and bandages. He was starting to heal, but it was clear he had not forgotten what happened to him. Charlie was terrified to have a leash around his neck after he had been hung by one. But the staff worked slowly with him and he slowly but surely began to regain his trust in humans. It took a full two weeks in intensive care, but Charlie was eventually able to return to the rescue facility in Chicago. That’s where he met a little black dog named Hazel Grace who also suffered burns at the hands of a group of children. She was set on fire by the kids and was covered in burns on her back and stomach.
Hazel has healed from her wounds and now she works as a therapy dog for her fellow canines, offering comfort and support to them in the shelter. Charlie and Hazel helped one another and Charlie was adopted by a family who loves him despite his scars and though he has to wear sweaters to protect his wounds, he’s doing so well now!