It probably seemed like help would never come for the dogs. They had spent their lives living in their own waste and filth, and were in pain and distress. But that was not the case for 18 dogs who were much luckier than they realized. The dogs, who were discovered in Alexandria, Indiana, were in a dire state when rescuers arrived. The rescuers were overwhelmed by the smell of ammonia when they entered the home and there were several dogs that were completely covered in matted fur running around the home. Some dogs were shaking uncontrollably. One paralyzed dog was in a pool of its own waste, unable to move away from it.
While the Animal Protection League of Indiana is no stranger to hoarding cases, this one was the worst they had ever seen before. They knew it would be a bad situation, but could not have imagined just how terrible it would be. The home had eighteen dogs inside, who were all matted with waste and fur and also had fleas. It was unclear when or if they had last been groomed or even if they had seen the outdoors. The owners told rescuers that they had been sick and therefore unable to care for the dogs from a financial standpoint. The neglect just took its toll on the dogs, particularly one dog who was paralyzed and a severe infection that had been covered in duct tape. Sadly, that dog did not survive.
Rescuers brought each dog to the shelter, where they removed the painful mats from each dog’s fur and gave them a health check. It was determined that the dogs were between eight months and twelve years old, meaning this was likely the only life the dogs had known. Despite all they have gone through, the dogs are surprisingly sweet and have begun to find new homes.